Carol Platt Liebau: How can this happen?

Monday, August 13, 2007

How can this happen?

Charlotte, NC's own WSOC-TV reports that a father left his 8-month old in his van while going to a doctor appt:


SALISBURY, N.C. -- During the hottest part of Thursday's 104 degree record breaking heat, someone walking through a Salisbury parking lot couldn't believe what was in the backseat of a van.

Police say a father went to a doctor's appointment and parked in the lot on West Innes Street, leaving his 8-month-old daughter in the family vehicle.

The person who saw the baby in her car seat called police. The child was in the hot van for 15 minutes before being rescued, but fortunately she was not harmed.

Robert Altemare, the baby’s father, was arrested and charged with child abuse.

Salisbury Police Deputy Chief Steve Whitley said the child is lucky to be alive.

“The 8-month-old is pretty fortunate. It’s an act of God that child is not dead – period,” he said.

Whitley said Altemare told police he forgot the baby was in the van.

“It’s absolute lunacy to leave a baby in a car. Forget about it? It’s crazy. You don’t do that,” he said.

Thank God the baby is ok.

It just baffles me everytime I hear a stories like this one - and there are alot of them, unfortunately. Now, I don't have children myself, but I can't conceive of any possible situation where I would forget that I had a child in the car, whether it was my own or someone else's.

Anyone ever witness this first hand and have to report it, or read about it happening in your hometown?

You can view more of my rantings at SisterToldjah.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google