Carol Platt Liebau: The Nub of the Issue

Thursday, July 06, 2006

The Nub of the Issue

Finally, after months of pummelling, it looks like enforcement-first immigration types have found their voices. According to Robert Novak, the Senate version of the immigration bill provides what's essentially a loophole through which terrorists could escape -- namely, that police would be forbidden from arresting illegals for civil offenses. Note that a number of the 9/11 hijackers were stopped for speeding . . . and then let go.

Republicans need to explain that, although a number of factors enter into their enforcement-first approach, the key one is protecting the country.

Maybe the revelation about the terrorist loophole in the Senate version will help them find their voice. Because either we're serious about catching terrorists -- or we're not. The way the "terrorist loophole" is treated will tell us a lot.

2 Comments:

Blogger dodger said...

I would like to point out that I made this very month here some months ago. I also pointed out that it is a difficult jump given Mexicans are not terrorists and do a good job of rooting out terrorists in their midst.

Meaning, I straddled. Maybe the word will gain some celebrity. Well, Mr. Russert, let me say, on that issue I am a straddler. No, not a fence sitter, let me be perfectly clear. A fence sitter claims he is on both sides. I strongly deny that I am on both sides of this issue. I'm on the "shoot off my mouth" side. Thank you for letting me make that point.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Heh.

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google