Carol Platt Liebau: Comments Function Operating?

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Comments Function Operating?

Readers Jim and Kirk emailed me to let me know that the comments function on the blog wasn't operating. Thanks for keeping me posted -- here's hoping that Blogger has the problem worked out soon!

Just to keep you in the loop, Jim from Minneapolis sent the following comment about the "Grey Lady" post below (sorry - intra-blog links aren't working either!):

Back in the days of the Soviet Union, workers routinely were told to work for weeks or even months without pay, on the grounds that the money just wasn’t coming in, but their efforts were needed. Here, this would be grounds for a huge strike or worse. Out there, this was just accepted as we accept a recession or weather calamity or somesuch.

It did inspire a common musing among workers: “They pretend to pay us and we pretend to work.” I keep coming back to that zinger when I think of the Times: They pretend to inform me, and I pretend to be informed by them. They pretend to care what I think, and I pretend to care what they think. MoDo pretends to think she’s witty (how scary is it if she’s not pretending?!) and some of us pretend that her opinion means . . . something.

In college and some years ago, this was true. Today on my end, pretensions have been ceased for some time. For years now, I haven’t been informed by them and I don’t care what they think. I used to care, but thanks to their heroic efforts, those days are long gone.


I'm sure Jim isn't alone in that opinion!

1 Comments:

Blogger stackja1945 said...

See if this comment works.
NYT has been dead for about forty years but no one seems to have noticed until the blogs pointed it out.

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google