Carol Platt Liebau: More on McCusker

Sunday, December 04, 2005

More on McCusker

Last week, I wrote about Michelle McCusker, the 26 year old teacher at a Catholic school who was fired for getting pregnant out of wedlock -- and who has now run to the New York Civil Liberties Union for help.

Today, John Leo tackles the same subject with clarity and conviction, pointing out that liberals like those in the NYCLU have been undermining the ministerial function of churches in America through their efforts to trump the First Amendment's guarantee of free exercise of religion with anti-discrimination laws.

Leo sums up the nub of the issue brilliantly:

In this case, the church didn't fire McCusker because she is a sinner. It believes we are all sinners. It fired her because a visibly pregnant and unmarried authority figure dealing with young children is conveying a message -- this is all right -- that the church does not want to send.

Indeed, all of us are sinners. But that fact doesn't render all of us entitled to hold church leadership positions, when our doing so would undermine the core messages of our faiths.

3 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I totally agree with you.

The church has every right to hire and fire anyone it wants. And I have every right to expect not a dime of my tax money to go them.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

I am a Christian, regardless of what others may wish to believe. Some will lack the ability to understand how a Christian could not want their tax dollars to go to churches. In fact, such simple-mindedness abounds, so I'll put it this way: I don't want my father-in-law paying my mortgage, either.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Matt Brinkman said...

Duke-Stir wrote, "Some will lack the ability to understand how a Christian could not want their tax dollars to go to churches."

My explanation of my beliefs on this matter is fairly simple...

Slightly more than 200 years ago all of the nations of Europe had state-sponsored, tax-payer financed churches. Our Founding Fathers decided that the United States wouldn't. For people interested in fostering religion, it's clear which approach was better.

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google