Carol Platt Liebau: Batcave Still Stands!!!

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Batcave Still Stands!!!

This was a near thing.

It was devastating to hear that the house that was "Wayne Manor" in the old Batman series -- of which my brothers and I were huge fans -- had burned. Situated across the Arroyo from the Ninth Circuit, the beautiful old house looks just as it did when it was being described in the television show as "stately Wayne Manor" (as reader Ruth Anne points out). When I first moved to Pasadena, I got an enormous kick out of seeing it, and I was so sad to think it was gone.

But not to worry -- Wayne Manor, and presumably the Batcave, still stand. Happy day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ruth Anne Adams said...

I believe the expression was "stately Wayne Manor".

Too much T.V. as a kid.

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to burst your bubble, but the mansion that you could see directly across from the Court of Appeals building was never Wayne Manor from the Batman TV series. The real "Wayne Manor" is about 1/4 mile south but on the same street. Both homes were designed by the same architect (Paul Williams, a black architect, which was almost unheard of in the 1920s), which is what leads to the confusion. Mr. Williams also designed the Theme restaurant at LAX.

12:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google