Carol Platt Liebau: LA Times Piece

Sunday, August 14, 2005

LA Times Piece

Here is a link to my piece in the Sunday opinion section of The Los Angeles Times.

Apparently, the editors gave it the somewhat flashy title of "The Brits Are Right: Speak English!" and ran a couple of the paragraphs together, but otherwise, it's pretty much in the form that I approved for publication.

The piece centers around Tony Blair's new anti-terrorism proposals in the wake of 7/7 -- especially the one that would require a rudimentary knowledge of English in order to be eligible for British citizenship. That's a requirement that makes sense to me -- too bad it apparently conflicts with Section 203 of our Voting Rights Act.

It seems to me that allowing people to become citizens and vote when they can't even understand any election campaign conducted in English is poor, poor policy. But then again, maybe I'm just one of those old-fashioned people who believes that everyone voting should take the time to make sure they understand what they're voting for (and against).

On Election Day, those perky little "I Voted!" stickers are always a source of annoyance to me, as they seem to put the simple act of voting over all else. They strike me as profoundly ridiculous. It strikes me that there's nothing so wonderful about going over to the polls and simply casting a ballot (no identification needed, mind you, in California), if one didn't bother to think through the issues. Seems to me we owe our democratic system more than that -- particularly in light of all the people across the world who are willing to risk their lives just to have a voice in their own government (not to mention the soldiers who have died to secure the franchise for Americans!).

My point is NOT that every voter must vote a particular way in order to be "correct." I can respect any vote -- even if it's for a candidate or cause that I find totally wrongheaded -- so long as its a product of some knowledge of the issues and careful deliberation. And I can respect any electoral result that is, likewise, the product of such a process.

1 Comments:

Blogger SantaBarbarian said...

Carol....I agree with you.

If people took the time and spent some serious thought and "homework" on what they were voting for, we wouldn't have Arnold nor Little Georgie in office.

Election day should be a holiday. And I can not being to understand anyone who doesn't vote. It's a slap against the honor of those brave men and women who died for us to have that opportunity.

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google