Carol Platt Liebau: A Worthwhile Warning

Thursday, June 15, 2006

A Worthwhile Warning

Former Senator John Danforth, himself an Episcopal priest, has warned the Episcopal General Convention that it risks irrelevancy by focusing on issues like same-sex marriage and the question of gay bishops.

Senator Danforth is quite right. But it's worth pointing out that it's not traditionalists who have precipitated this crisis; it's those who, knowing of the opposition of the worldwide Anglican communion, nonetheless chose to push sexual orientation to the forefront through deciding -- no doubt obeying the dictates of their conscience -- to name active homosexual Gene Robinson to be a bishop.

Discussing the issue, many of the non-traditionalists have cast the issue as whether gays are "welcome" in the Episcopal Church. Of course they are! Gays carry the full weight of God's glory; certainly, they are sinners, as are we all. There are many issues that divide the Episcopal Church, but the inherent value of gays as people and their right (and their welcome) to worship as Episcopalians, aren't among them.

That being said, traditionalists like me are prone to feel as "unwelcome" in the Episcopal Church as we're told that gays have in the past. It's hard not to wonder why those who feel they had to "push the envelope" likewise want so badly to marginalize all those who disagree.

8 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Well put, Carol.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

By that, I do not mean to give the Episcopal Church a pass on the issue, but they ARE light years ahead of nearly all other denominations.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

"That being said, traditionalists like me are prone to feel as "unwelcome" in the Episcopal Church as we're told that gays have in the past. It's hard not to wonder why those who feel they had to "push the envelope" likewise want so badly to marginalize all those who disagree."

This addendum to the original post changes its complexion somewhat. I am not an Episcopalian, so I will have to take your word for the new climate of "unwelcomeness" for tradidionalists. I'm sure some of your readers would eagerly coin the term "homo-nazis" to characterize the non-traditionalists.

The only thing I can offer by way of an explanation is that envelope-pushers in all realms tend to marginalize their dissenters. We see it in the realm of politics quite frequently, most recently by those firebrands who insist on American hegemony in foreign policy. Those who disagree are "surrender monkeys," not unlike those traditionalists in the church who, if I understand you correctly, are regarded as 'hatemongers,' though I hope the term has not been used in the context of that debate.

(There is a distinction to be made between a debate within a CHURCH over whether or not gay BISHOPS should be ordained and the national debate over whether gay Americans are due the same rights as their fellow citizens.)

9:41 PM  
Blogger COPioneer said...

I am a new traditionalist, as I have repented my previous hedonism, and I'm doing my best to follow Jesus.

Just as my non-denominational (evangelical) church would welcome anyone, when they come with a heavy burden of sin, be it, homosexuality, drug addiction, adultery, murder, whatever, I hope they come with a repentant heart. If not, they are probably worse off than if they just become agnostic or athiest. I believe the Bible will back me up on that.

8:19 AM  
Blogger suek said...

I'm not Episcopalian either - RC here, and we have our own problems - but I must admit that I have a real problem understanding how any Christian church can "welcome" practicing homosexuals. I'm not really aware of whether or not the individual who was made a bishop is living in a homosexual relationship or not - that would be relevant to me - but given the position of the old testament on homosexuality, acceptance of it as a life style is just flat condictory to traditional teachings.

10:45 AM  
Blogger LadybugUSA said...

Sue:

I'm no theological expert, but I believe that the Church would welcome practicing homosexuals the same way it welcomes sinners generally (which means, all of us). Obviously, one has to come with a heart and a spirit that is earnestly seeking God and His teachings . . .

11:27 AM  
Blogger LadybugUSA said...

Amber:

Just had to tell you how much I respect and admire your decision to carry your baby to term -- and your church's reaction to your statement.

12:38 PM  
Blogger suek said...

>>I believe that the Church would welcome practicing homosexuals the same way it welcomes sinners generally (which means, all of us). Obviously, one has to come with a heart and a spirit that is earnestly seeking God and His teachings . . .>>

I think maybe the difference here is "welcoming" as opposed to "accepting", perhaps.
What I mean is pretty much along the "love the sinner, hate the sin" lines. When I say "accept", I mean that some seem to accept the sin as ok as well as the sinner. Acceptance of the homosexual lifestyle as an approved, normal lifestyle doesn't seem to me to be compatible with Christian concepts.

>>Just had to tell you how much I respect and admire your decision to carry your baby to term -- and your church's reaction to your statement.>>

I always liked "Dear Abby"s comment about illegitimacy..."There are no illegitimate children - there are only illegitimate parents."

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google