Carol Platt Liebau: How Times Change . . .

Saturday, November 26, 2005

How Times Change . . .

Kathleen Parker takes note of the litigious, pregnant teacher (referenced here), beginning her piece with this pithy observation:

What a funny world. Where once it was scandalous to be unmarried and pregnant, now it is scandalous to disapprove of another's being unmarried and pregnant.

Indeed. How interesting that, today, it's deemed perfectly legitimate to judge another's clothes/politics/habits (drinking or smoking spring to mind). The only area where none of us are supposed to exercise any judgment at all is that of sexual morality. Even when it undermines the tenets of one's religion. Even if it leads to teen pregnancy, and all the social dysfunction that follows therefrom. Even if it leads to the spread of misery and disease.

Who could have guessed that sexual mores would change so drastically so quickly: From a time when one could hold moral views and express them (but "sex talk" was off the table) -- to a time when "sex talk" is constant and graphic (but moral values are, apparently, off the table).

5 Comments:

Blogger Anonymous said...

Talk is cheap. Carol, you are a judgemental blowhard who could raise the moral standard instantly by cutting down on your constant cyber-bashing. 99% of your posts are negative attacks on others. How christian and moral is that? Take the telescope you have trained on everyone else's bedroom and turn it on yourself.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Anonymous said...

You're asking me to stop personal attacks on THIS blog? That's a laugh. Do you even read anything that Carol Liebau posts? It's nothing BUT personal attacks.

Of course why should I expect anything less. By now we all know the conservative playbook by heart. Sling mud all day long and then cry foul when anyone calls you on your B.S.

1:19 PM  
Blogger LadybugUSA said...

Uh, 'scuse me, RZafft. "As bad as" whom? :)

8:53 PM  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Umm, you can visit my blog whenever you like. It's linked to my screen name.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Anonymous said...

By the way rzafft, to suggest that I not visit this blog because I disagree with it is narrow-minded. The fact that I visit it and ocassionally espouse my opinions is, conversely, open minded (whether or not you agree with my opinion). I learn much from coming here even though I disagree with most of it. This is known as discourse. It is a central feature of democracy and in theory makes Carol, myself and maybe even you better for it. This isn't about enjoying a football game - it is about doing my part as a citizen, which includes questioning and challenging the guy (or gal) on the soapbox.

Is that a good enough reason for you?

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google