Carol Platt Liebau: Huckabee and Creationism

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Huckabee and Creationism

According to this report, Mike Huckabee is frustrated that he's asked about his views on creationism so often.

Well, you can't have it both ways. As I pointed out in my Townhall column, Huckabee seems willing to exploit his image as a "Christian leader" (as he put it in his You Tube campaign video), especially when he perceives that doing so will offer him an advantage over his rivals. What's more, he seemed quite willing to answer questions about what Jesus would do about the death penalty -- and even one about Biblical interpretation -- although he he was perfectly positioned (as a minister) to explain that as theological questions, those weren't relevant to a presidential debate.

The kind of creationism questions that are (rightly) annoying Huckabee is a foreseeable byproduct of the injection of theology into an electoral race. But those who live by the sword must die by the sword, so my sympathy for him is limited, indeed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Righty64 said...

Keep it up on Mr. Huckabee! I have been a conservative Republican for 25 years since I have been old enough to register and vote. But when I see Mike Huckabee I now realize who he reminds me of. Ol' Slick Willie himself! As I noted on another blogger's comment board, what is in the water in Hope, Arkansas?

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google