Carol Platt Liebau: WH press secretary Tony Snow to step down 'before the end of Bush's presidency"

Friday, August 17, 2007

WH press secretary Tony Snow to step down 'before the end of Bush's presidency"

Via AP:

WASHINGTON — White House press secretary Tony Snow said Friday he'll leave sometime before the end of the Bush presidency because of financial pressures.

He declined to say when he would depart, but that, "I'm going to stay as long as I can."

The 52-year-old Snow, the father of three children, earns $168,000 as an assistant to the president but made considerably more as a conservative pundit and syndicated talk-show host on Fox News Radio. He was named press secretary on April 26, 2006.

The White House has been shaken by the resignations of some of President Bush's closest aides. Political strategist Karl Rove announced Monday that he would leave at the end of the month. Longtime Bush adviser Dan Bartlett left earlier this year and Andrew Card left earlier as Bush's chief of staff.

Bush's term ends on Jan. 20, 2009.

"I will not be able to make it to the end of this administration, just financially," Snow said. "This job has been such a pleasant surprise in how much I like it. I love it."

Snow has been undergoing chemotherapy after doctors discovered a recurrence of colon cancer in March. He said the last of eight scheduled chemotherapy treatments would be on Friday. On Monday he will have a CAT scan to evaluate his progress.


I, for one, will be sad to see him go.

And speaking of going, this is my last official day of helping to guest blog while Carol's away - maybe some will be sad to see me go, while others may not be ;) Thanks again to Carol for asking me to help out here. If she ever needs me again, I'm just an email away :)

You can read more of my work by visiting the Sister Toldjah blog.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ruth Anne Adams said...

Sister Toldjah: Thank you for your contributions. I particularly liked the "Carolina flavor" of your posts. Tony Snow, others might not know, is a distinguished graduate of North Carolina's own Davidson College.

I, too, am sorry to see him go. He gave Helen Thomas a run for her money [among others]. I wonder if there's really more to it than just a short-term loss of money. Perhaps his cancer is giving him a sense of urgency to provide for his children. I mean, what's 16 more months, financially speaking? I suspect there's more.

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google