Carol Platt Liebau: RIP Senator Eagleton

Sunday, March 04, 2007

RIP Senator Eagleton

Senator Thomas Eagleton (D-MO) has died.

He was an unreconstructed liberal, but also a wonderful man. I had the opportunity to meet him when I was interviewing at the St. Louis law firm where he practiced (then known as Thompson & Mitchell). Given that I had worked on Kit Bond's 1986 Senate campaign (the one to fill his seat when Senator Eagleton retired), we had plenty to discuss. We even corresponded briefly, and I treasure the letter where, at the bottom of a typewritten note, he handwrote that I was his "favorite conservative."

That, of course, was simply typical of Senator Eagleton's charm, kindness, and willingness to reach out to a newly-minted young lawyer. His death is an enormous loss, and he will be missed by many.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ruth Anne Adams said...

A lovely tribute. I just read your TownHall.com article on "The Barack I Knew" and thought the same thing.

You'd have a Dick Morris-y inside track to the news what with all these people you "knew back when" if only you had some juicy gossip tidbits to dish!

5:43 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

I was speaking with a friend of mine Saturday. He's a local attorney, Little League booster, and a Democrat. I overlook the first, greatly appreciate the second and am befuddled by the third.

Our conversation stumbled onto a mutal friend, another attorney and unabashed liberal. I mean this guy is a hard-core Chomsky disciple. I thought true believers of that sort only lived in New York or San Francisco (or Paris or Moscow). Even though we live in staunch Democrat country, this guy is way to the left of any one either of us know.

But we still like this fellow. He's a nice guy, very friendly, and about as honest as I guess an attorney can be :o)

While I can in no way endorse his politics, he is definitely a good guy and a great conversationalist. I'm happy to count him as a friend. I have more fun talking politics with this guy than anyone else I know. The thing is, neither of us take it personally. We respect each other's right to hold opposing views. We disagree strongly. But we're still friends.

That's nice.

6:18 AM  
Blogger Neil Cameron (One Salient Oversight) said...

One of the problems of the internet is, of course, that there is no personal relationship with the people you sometimes argue with.

I'm certain that, if we met, we'd be friends greg, even though we have opposing ideals.

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google