Carol Platt Liebau: Rudy's In!

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Rudy's In!

It looks like Mayor Giuliani is going to run for President.

Good. As I noted here, there's much to like about Giuliani.

Here is a partial transcript of his interview with Sean Hannity last night, and although I disagree with the Mayor's stance on abortion, I very much liked what he had to say about judges:

I think the appointment of judges that I would make would be very similar to, if not exactly the same as, the last two judges that were appointed.

Chief Justice Roberts is somebody I work with, somebody I admire, Justice Alito someone I knew when he was U.S. attorney, also admire. If I had been president over the last four years, I can't think of any, you know, that I'd do anything different with that.


He went on to add:

Scalia is another former colleague of mine and somebody I consider to be a really great judge. I mean, that would be -- you're never going to get somebody exactly the same. You're never -- and I don't think you have a litmus test. But I do think you have sort of a general philosophical approach that you want from a justice, and I think a strict constructionist would be probably the way I'd describe it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Neil Cameron (One Salient Oversight) said...

I find your support of Rudy quite strange. On the one hand, you hold to traditional values of sexual purity and life in the womb, yet you are prepared to accept a man who has been quite promiscuous and unfaithful and supports abortion.

For people like me, I just wonder if it's simply partisanship. If he's Republican, he's good. If he's Democrat, he's bad.

2:08 PM  
Blogger stackja1945 said...

Rudy has problems but he is consistent. He helped the US in the 9/11 crisis. Which Dem has these attributes? HRC? Is this an oversight?

2:11 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Are there any "perfect" candidates? I don't think so. Every candidate has some view or behavior that we disagree with. Yet one of those candidates is eventually going to be chosen.

Therefore, we must decide which issues are most important to us and see where the candidates stand on those issues.

For me, the NUMBER ONE issue right now is our survival in the face of a brutal enemy bent on our destruction. Where a candidate stands on this issue trumps everything else.

My number two issue is judicial appointments, followed by economic policy (cut those taxes, baby!).

I have many other issues I care about, but those are the top three.

Sadly, I don't see a single Democratic candidate that is on the right side of any of these issues. That breaks my heart!

I would much rather have a group of candidates who all agree that we need to defeat our enemies, keep legislation in the hands of the legislative branch, and allow free people the right to prosper in a free market. Then we could base our decision on other issues like education policy, the right to life, crime and punishment, etc.

Sadly, the American public currently has to choose among candidates who don't even agree as to whether survival and freedom are worth fighting for.

So, Salient, please forgive us if we admire or maybe even actually vote for someone who will protect us even though we disagree with him or her on other issues.

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google