Carol Platt Liebau: Batting Lead-Off

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Batting Lead-Off

[Posted by Ruth Anne Adams, of "The Maternal Optimist"]

Looks like I'm batting lead-off in the CPL Series. Thanks, Carol, for the invite. I feel like the young girl who sneaks into her mother's closet and plays dress-up with her pumps and dresses. Big shoes to clunk around in. I'll try not to get lipstick on the carpet. And now that I've mixed a sports metaphor with a fashion metaphor, I'll get to other pre-election doings.

I've been watching the John Kerry dust-up a little. I am a veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. Army for a few years. I was a Judge Advocate General Captain who had the privilege of attending Basic Airborne School and also serving for a year with the 82d Airborne Division. I am married to a former Infantry Captain who's a Citadel graduate. I personally did not take great offense at Kerry's comments. I tend to discount what he says because it's laden with northeast coast elitism. Smug and arrogant. Does anyone really take him seriously?

What he said was offensive. But the men I know who are currently serving in Baghdad, training their police force to run their new government, wouldn't give it a moment's notice. They're real men, doing a difficult job. They have integrity and honor and class. They live in a world apart from the junior Senator from Massachusetts.

I learned to be a patriot while I was in the Army. I love my country and respect anyone who dons the uniform. I support the troops and their mission. I almost always vote Republican these days and I'm part of the disaffected core who wants something done about border security, illegal immigration, profligate spending and social security. But make no mistake about it: I wouldn't trust the Democrat leadership with the war against Islamofascism. Not in a million.

I only hope that the Republicans do not overplay this hand that Kerry dealt them like the Democrats did with the Foley folly.
Google