Carol Platt Liebau: In Search of Common Sense

Friday, April 14, 2006

In Search of Common Sense

Naomi Schafer Riley will, no doubt, have outraged legions of feminists by her call for common sense on the part of young women who are deciding whether to put themselves in potentially risky situations.

Of course, rape isn't the victim's "fault." But carrying that credo to extremes can prompt girls to throw caution to the winds, even though the fact that it wasn't one's fault surely doesn't make a rape any easier to get over.

3 Comments:

Blogger amber said...

When I was in college I had a rule whenever was out: If the drink leaves your hand and vision at anytime, leave it and buy another. My second rule was no more than 2 drinks. My third was never drink on a date. My fourth was never go to a club with another woman who you do not trust to maintain contact with you at all times and always have a female friend you trust to fill that role. I know it sounds extreme, but I was never attcaked and I was blond and had measurements any playboy model would pay for.

Now that I live in the country and my husband is deployed, I carry a concealed pistol. I also am as serious about training with my handgun as I was about going to clubs in college.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Bachbone said...

Many untoward things 'ought not' be happening in the world, but wise travelers have carried something as simple as a "staff" since ancient times, and not for companionship. "Be careful out there" was many a mother's advice long before Hill Street Blues popularized it.

8:30 PM  
Blogger dodger said...

As a man on a crowded elevator I always grab my lapels lest someone claim I inappropriately touched them. No, not because someone once did, because, as the above comments note, protect yourself is the best policy.

7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google