Carol Platt Liebau: Blogging for Hurricane Relief

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Blogging for Hurricane Relief

Today's the day. Across the blogosphere, Americans are being asked to pitch in -- with their fortunes or their widows' mites -- to help the good people whose lives have been devastated by Hurricane Katrina.

There are two charities I hope you'll consider.

First, the Salvation Army. As I've noted before, I love the Salvation Army. It's a Christian charity that ministers not only to the body, but to the soul. When I was running US Senator Kit Bond (R-MO)'s St. Louis office, I had the opportunity to see this "army of compassion" at work. And that's why I am a huge fan.

My other charity is, of course, The Humane Society (and a reader below recommends Noah's Wish for the same purpose). I believe that our obligation is to care for our fellow humans, first. But I am a dog lover -- and as the devoted pet (and chief of staff) of a very loving, proud and opinionated Westie, Winston, I can only imagine the anguish that must have wracked the poor people who couldn't take their pets to a shelter.

Since Winston came into my life almost five years ago, I've become actutely aware of how truly "human" (in the best sense) a dog can be. And so I grieve at the thought of these loyal, devoted companions having been abandoned through necessity, and wandering confused, afraid and bereft through the flood devastated areas -- if they survived at all.

The Humane Society is trying to help these animals. And because I believe that dogs do a wonderful job of reflecting God's love for us here on earth, I want to help them, too.

1 Comments:

Blogger SantaBarbarian said...

I also recommend Noah's Wish. The specialize in dealing with animals in disaster areas.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google