Carol Platt Liebau: "Paranoid Parenting"

Friday, August 04, 2006

"Paranoid Parenting"

In today's Opinion Journal, Kay Hymowitz discusses the new ways that parents can "snoop" on their children's activities through GPS systems and the like. She points out that, by employing these devices, parents short-circuit moral questions (about when it's right figuratively to peer over their children's shoulder) and avoid having to make periodic judgments about their maturity that are, she says, essential to guiding their development.

But it's also worth looking at from a child's point of view. Knowing your parents are tracking you with GPS essentially deprives you of the opportunity to be your own moral agent -- to go to tutoring instead of your boyfriend's house not because you'll get caught, but because it's the right thing to do. What's more, it turns parents from allies into adversaries. I knew my parents trusted me to do the right thing, and for that reason, I was determined not to disappoint them. Had they tagged a GPS on me, my feelings would have been very different -- and, I fear, if I had felt that my parents had more cofidence in an electronic tattletale than in me, I would have done everything I could to "get around" the GPS, or any other device.

3 Comments:

Blogger COPioneer said...

yep, I feel the same way. You have to let kids smack into that wall now and then in order for them to learn that it hurts.

Heard a thing on the radio about a guy who put a "How's my Teen Driving" bumper sticker on his daughter's car, with an 800 number. Paranoid was what I thought too. Now if it's my Boys... ;)

8:59 AM  
Blogger HouseOfSin said...

Carol - This is a more complicated matter than your post (or Hymowitz' piece) makes it sound. Where does the parent's duty lie? With the safety of the child or the moral support of the child? Also, who says the youths have to be aware of the tracking?

I am contemplating putting such a device in the vehicle (as trucking companies do). It's kind of a middle ground - should something unexpected happen, we have a logical starting point, but it doesn't follow every last personal movement.

Incidentally Amber, hypocrisy is not necessarily a bad thing. I consider it OK if it is done for a greater purpose. Parents who smoke had better be hypocrites - i.e. tell theirs not to smoke. Ideally they themselves would quit, but meanwhile they owe it to their kids to be hypocrites, because their ultimate motive is safety and love.

Hypocrisy for the sake of self-promotion or self-enrichment is wrong. Hypocrisy for the sake of safety for loved ones, to me is just fine.

10:23 AM  
Blogger eLarson said...

Oh look! An "Editor" wrote:
Some American adults are willing to be spied on by Bush and lose their freedom under the premise that a few bad actors hate us for our freedom. Hmmm!

Yeah, I'll bet that's what he does when no one's looking: spying on 300 million Americans! (GWB: "Sorry, Laura, I can't come to bed. I'm checking in on the Larsons. Only 50 million more households to spy on after that.")

Actually the bad actors hate us because we don't subscribe to their brand of Islam, which, in case you haven't noticed in all of your, er, editing, doesn't exactly cotton to individual liberty, religious freedom, or sexual equality to name 3. I'd say "Freedom" is a pretty fair piece of short-hand.

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google