Carol Platt Liebau: Just a Fig Leaf

Monday, May 29, 2006

Just a Fig Leaf

So Antonio Villaraigosa objects to the official language of the United States being English, on the grounds that it will make it difficult for the providers of emergency services to communicate with those who don't yet speak English.

But here's the question I'd like to ask the Mayor of LA:

The amendment to the federal immigration bill reads as follows: "Unless specifically stated in applicable law, no person has a right, entitlement, or claim to have the government of the United States or any of its officials or representatives act, communicate, perform or provide services, or provide materials in any language other than English.''

Couldn't an exception be made "in applicable law" for those providing emergency services -- or is your concern simply a pretext for opposing a common and uniform language in the United States?

2 Comments:

Blogger Poison Pero said...

Your answer was nice, Carol, but the real answer is for those coming here to learn English!

If they do so, they won't have to worry about that emergency situation biting them.

I'm sure that makes me a radical, racist, right-winger though.

9:20 PM  
Blogger COPioneer said...

If I get injured while traveling to Mexico, or Sweden, or Canada, or Zimbabwe, I hope that I can use sign language or something to communicate, or if I'm unconcious, I hope there is a Dr. that is competent!

But no, I have no intention of learning French, but living in Colorado, I sure have been contemplating taking a Spanish course so that I can communicate with waiters and other service providers.

And that makes me think of another thought I had while eating at the "3 Margaritas" Family Mexican Restaurant (the official language at that local chain is Spanish)...
Could it be possible that Mexicans, Koreans, Vietnamese, Indians come here and make it out of poverty because of the cuisine?! I mean it's not just the Restaurants, it's the whole supply chain and maintenance infrastructure...and that brings me to why there is still such a large black population living on welfare, they need to be opening soul food chains! I love soul food, and you just can't get it here...

Okay, tell me I'm ignorant and racist...it was just a thought.

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google