Carol Platt Liebau: Stop the McCainity

Monday, December 12, 2005

Stop the McCainity

Had a lovely lunch with Lorie Byrd and her charming daughters this afternoon. Speaking of Lorie, she's spitting fire over the suggestion that McCain may be getting a "second look" from some on the right who see him as the GOP's "only hope."

Give me a break. McCain is unpalatable to any traditional conservative for the reasons that Lorie outlines so eloquently. What's more, anyone who believes that he's the party's "only hope" must be smoking something. The GOP has a number of advantages -- not the least that of an opposition party run by appeaser-moonbats. If the Iraq situation stabilizes, the economy continues to do well, and the Republicans in Congress bring themselves to act like the Republicans of 1994 (i.e. cut some spending!), there's no reason for desperation.

And even if there were, a pro-tax, free-speech-limiting, grandstanding, showboating, MSM-favor-currying candidate is not the answer.

P.S. Don't write me about not "respecting" McCain. I honor his service in Vietnam. And though I applaud his courage there, I don't think that it earns him automatic and perpetual deference in the political arena.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ralph said...

If he turns out to be the candidate, I will almost certainly support him, but to my thinking, he will have to tie himself in knots to win enough primaries. In the meantime I will do nothing to support him and everything possible to impede his progress. I thought his behavior in the primaries six years ago was despicable and the only thing I can hold in his favor is my impression that he might hold the budget better than Bush has.

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google